Friday, October 8, 2010

I’m probably just being picky…

I’m not trying to be a snotty English major or anything, heck, I’m only on my first class, but I have a few pet peeves when it comes to the proper usage of words.  (You may call that a run on sentence if you like, I don’t care!)

The word ‘sell’ verses ‘sale’.  There are several varieties of this that make me shake my head.  One is when people advertise a garage sell.  I’m pretty sure you are not selling off your garage, you are having a sale in the vicinity of your garage.  The other is when people ask if you could sale me something.  I could either sell you something or I could make it available for sale.  Take your pick.

The other is ‘accept’ verses ‘except’.  Two different words, two different meanings.  Let me illustrate;  I would like to accept your congratulations, except that I didn’t do the work, so I can’t.  Yes, there is a difference.

I know, it’s silly, but it’s things that I notice.  Call me a nerd if you would like, hopefully I can parlay my quirks into a career some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment