Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Birthdays, anyone?

I’m kind of avoiding starting my homework for the week, so I’m going to talk about birthdays today!  Birthdays are on my mind because we went to a birthday party last night of a good friend and neighbor.  He turned the big 6-0 and had his party at Classic Skating!  (Utah friends, we don’t have those in Iowa, so I need to explain what it is to the Iowa friends.)  Classic Skating is a big roller rink with lots of other fun things to do.  They have a bounce zone full of inflatables, a big climbing thing for the kids to run around and climb, and laser tag.  It’s a great place to have a kids birthday party.  I thought it was great that he had his party there.  All the kids had a ball and so did the adults!

I’ve also got birthdays on the mind because I’ve got two birthdays coming up in the next two weeks - my mother and Squanner.  Those of you who know me well, know that when it’s my birthday, it’s a big deal to me, and should be to everyone around me as well.  Well, I had to learn that behavior from somewhere, and that somewhere would be my mother.  I had better remember and make a big deal about my mother’s birthday every year, but this year is extra important.  This year she turns (well she is telling people, so I might as well blast it all over the internet) 60.  Now if you think that is not that big of a deal, boy do you not know my mom!  I don’t want to make it sound like she is being over the top or anything about making a big deal about her birthday, but, well… that might be kind of close to the truth.  That’s alright though, because I have everything firmly in hand.  Let’s just say, I don’t think she will be disappointed this year.

Squanner’s birthday is exactly one week after my mom’s.  This year she gets her first party.  Mostly just because my brother is going to be here, so we thought, “Why not?”  She has been wanting a piñata for a while now, and my niece and nephews will be here, so we thought that would be a good time to do it and have a little party for her.  You should have seen her when we told her she was going to have a party.  Man, those genes (mine and my mother’s!)  kicked in and she was planning out every detail.  It was hilarious.

Hopefully all these parties go down as I have envisioned.  If not, there’s always next year, right?  Right?  Oh dear, I hope it all works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment