Monday, February 14, 2011

Goodbye my friend

Yesterday afternoon I heard a familiar voice on my voicemail.  I had a message from the mom of my best friend during middle school and high school.  This was the woman that I used to refer to as mom #2.  I spent so much time at her house growing up, that sometimes it felt like I lived there (I’m sure she would agree). 

I called her back wondering what she wanted, since it had been several years since I last talked to her.  When she answered the phone, she gave me some news that nothing would have ever prepared me to hear- my best friend, from the ages of 12-18, was gone.  She had a blood clot that had traveled to her lungs.

I have gone through many emotions since receiving that phone call yesterday.  I have felt shock, disbelief, a bit of anger, but mostly sadness.  I’ll have moments where I start thinking about her and remember the fun times we had and break down into tears.

Our lives have taken different courses since graduating from high school.   She took the career path, getting her master’s degree and working in Washington DC for the government, while I took the family route and had kids.  For as much as our lives were different, we still kept in touch.  We would email or send cards once or twice a year.  Even though we weren’t as close as we once were, the news still hit me like a ton of bricks.  Nothing can ever prepare you to hear that someone you knew and loved is gone.  I take a bit of solace in the knowledge that I have that she and her dad are together right now, probably telling dumb blonde jokes.  Rest in peace my friend, till we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment