Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Trip to the Dentist

Thankfully our dentist trips are usually pretty standard, cleanings with no cavities.  Our trip yesterday was no different—except maybe for the two baby teeth our orthodontist wanted pulled from G-man.

G-man’s bottom teeth are a crowded mess with permanent teeth coming in behind baby teeth that just don’t want to leave their comfy home yet.  The orthodontist told me a couple months ago that he wanted two of his baby teeth pulled so that his permanent teeth could start moving into place naturally, but I’ve been putting it off because I knew that G-man would be scared and freak out.

Well, I had to break down and make the appointment a few weeks ago because G-man’s next orthodontist appointment is next week.  I figured I’d take all the kids and get all their cleanings done at the same time.  When I called, I told the dentist office that he didn’t know about the teeth that were to be pulled and I didn’t want to tell him until the last minute, and they said that was fine. 

After his cleaning, they took him into another room to put sealants on his 12 year molars that had broken through.  Before doing this, they put the mask on him with the laughing gas and shot him up with some Novocain to get him ready to pull his teeth.  He didn’t know what was going on because he’s never had to have any dental work done besides cleanings, and it’s been long enough since he’s had to have any sealants put on, that he didn’t remember that they don’t go through all that just for sealants.  Long story, short, G-man had two teeth pulled and had no idea that they came out till I showed them to him.  Somehow we managed to work it that no one said anything about pulling teeth to him till it was already done and over with!  He thought it was pretty cool once he saw the teeth already out.   Apparently this goes to show that ignorance truly can be bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment