Monday, February 8, 2010

Hmmm, what would you do?

Let me start off by saying, Friday was a rather hellish day.  I started the day by spending about an hour and a half going through pages upon pages of bank statements trying to balance the checkbook.  I realized Thursday that I thought that we had about $100 more in our checking account than the bank said that we had. 

I usually try to reconcile our bank statement with my register about once a month.  When I realized that we were off, I couldn’t remember for sure the last time that I had done that, so I printed off 2 months worth of statements to go through.  After about 10 pages, and still not finding anything, I decided that maybe it was just in my adding and subtracting.  So I flipped 6 pages back in my register and started going over my calculations again.  Lo and behold I found it!  I subtracted something wrong.  And the real kicker was that I only did it a few days ago.  I started re-adding and subtracting everything starting about mid December, and I found the error on Feb. 1.  If I hadn’t been so relieved that I found what in the heck I did, I would have been pretty ticked that it was so close to the end!

After I solved the missing money dilemma, the Princess and I went to the grocery store- mind you, the boys were early out that day, and I was already on a bit of a tight schedule, so I wasn’t thrilled that it took me so long to figure out the stupid checkbook thing.  To keep her happy and hurry the process of going to the store along a bit, I told her that she could bring one of her favorite Barbies.  The store that we went to have what my kids call the racecar carts.  The ones with the cars on the front of the carts.  I feel a bit like I’m driving a bus when I steer these down the aisles, but it makes the kids happy, so whatever. 

Well, we got our shopping done, I got the Princess loaded up in the car and we went home to unload groceries real quick before we needed to go get Hubby and go to lunch.  As I’m getting her out of the car I realize that her Barbie isn’t there.  I asked her if she left it in the cart and she said, (whining on the verge of tears) “Yes!!”  I realize (now) at this point I should have run right back to the store to see if it was still there.  Instead I called them.  The very nice lady at the store went and checked the carts for me, and when she couldn’t find it, she took my name and number and told me she would call me if anyone turned it in.

I went back to the store later to see if maybe someone took it out of the cart and laid it on a shelf or something, but no such luck.  So here’s my question for you: If you or your child found a Barbie or some other toy in a cart, that another child obviously left behind, would you turn it in, or would you say, “good for you little Susie, you got yourself a new toy!”  Now, living in the state of Utah, where the predominant religion is the LDS religion, and LDS people are supposed to be honest, you wouldn’t think it would be a problem to have a lost Barbie be found and turned in.  Well, apparently it is, because we haven’t seen the Barbie, and I think it is gone for good.  I also think that I might be taking this a bit harder than the Princess.  I guess it just really bugs me because honesty is a trait that I highly value.  It’s something I try to instill in my kids everyday, and it really bothers me when other people aren’t honest, or just don’t care enough to try and do the right thing.  /rant.  That’s the way computer nerds end their rants.  Let’s face it, I’m probably more of a computer nerd than I’d like to admit!

No comments:

Post a Comment