Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I want off!!

I know I haven’t been around much lately.  For some reason I hopped aboard a train that went to literary criticism world, and let me tell you, that is not a fun place to be.  I want my money back for this trip, because I don’t like it here!  I want to go home!

I have a paper that is due on Friday which needs to be a 2 page summary of the deconstruction literary criticism.  Let me tell you just a bit about this theory.  It’s a crock of huey!  Let me explicate what I mean. (That’s a term that professors use when they just want you to explain something.  Why, for heaven’s sake they just can’t say explain is beyond me.  I guess it makes them feel smarter and more academic when they say explicate.)  About 50 years ago, a bunch of literary academia's got together and decided that the world of literary criticism just wasn’t complicated enough.  There had to be a new way to make something out of nothing.  So they invented the deconstruction criticism.  It’s a way of looking at a text that millions of people and critics have already read and got pretty much all there is to get out of it, but the deconstructionists think that there has to be something more.  So they thought let’s analyze and reanalyze and analyze some more to see if there isn’t something, anything, that we can pull out to make ourselves feel like we’re good critics and feel better about ourselves.  That’s really all it is in a nutshell—and I have to write 2 pages about it.  At this point I am grateful that it is only two pages and not six. 

The really good news is as soon as I am done with that, I get to start on two research papers!  Ay yay yay.   What did I get myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment