Sunday, May 9, 2010

Question of the day, Mother’s Day edition

How do you celebrate Mother’s Day?  If you are a mother, does your husband get you presents?  How much do your kids do for you?

When I was growing up, my Dad’s patent response to my mother about what he was going to get her was, “You’re not my mother!”  Of course he was always kidding (mostly) when he said that.

I must say, my husband usually treats me pretty good for Mother’s Day.  This year we invited my parents and mother in law over for dinner.  We had steaks, but I’m not a huge steak fan.  Hubby knew that, so he went and got my favorite salad from Boston’s yesterday and took it to my parent’s house for them to bring it so I would be surprised.  Needless to say, I was surprised and very happy!

Some time ago Hubby started the tradition of taking the kids to the dollar store for birthdays and other holidays like Mother’s Day, and letting the kids pick out presents.  Sometimes it’s pretty interesting to see what they pick.  Hubby will usually get me something too.  He’ll get me flowers and something useful as a gift.  I don’t like it when he spends money on useless and superfluous stuff, so I am okay with practical and useful gifts.  One year I got a new trimmer for the lawn, which was totally fine because I’m usually the one who trims when we mow the lawn.  This year I got new carpet.  Actually, we had decided that we needed to replace all the carpeting in our house to try and help it sell, but since we got it 3 days before Mother’s Day, I said that could be my present because I didn’t want to spend any more money.  I guess you could maybe say I tend to sit on the cheap side of the fence.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers.  It is one of the hardest jobs, but one that none of us would trade for anything.

 

july4,07 034                   My 3 beautiful reasons for which I celebrate.  

2 comments:

  1. My husband got a new lawn mower and a camera lens for Mothers Day... isnt that awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are so lucky! I bet you'll get a lot of use out of those!

    ReplyDelete