Friday, June 25, 2010

Life changes

We have made a few decisions in the last few weeks that will affect our futures just a bit.  The first of which is we have decided to take our house off the market.  That is a bittersweet decision because we have tried to sell our house before, only to be scared off when the bottom fell out of the market 5 months into the process.  Hubby feels like this is an unfinished project now, and he always finishes what he starts, so that part of this decision is frustrating for him.  I’m a bit frustrated also because I’m beginning to feel a bit like the boy who cried wolf.  How many times are we going to try this before it actually sells!

There are several reasons that we have come to this particular conclusion.  The first of which is that the market has really died off around here, and we have only had two showings since mid April.  That is down from 2 to 3 a week.  Our agent thinks that if we drop our price again, we would get some more action.  We ran numbers again based an even lower sales price, and I’m just not comfortable with it.  Considering that our price right now is $20,000 less than what I wanted to sell at in the first place, I’m just not comfortable draining our savings account to get into a new house.  All the numbers we have run have been based on a certain amount for a down payment, and I would much rather take another year to save up more money, so that we can be at the amount that we need to be at for me to be comfortable with a new house payment.

The second reason we aren’t selling right now, is that we just haven’t found what we are looking for in a new house.  We had pretty much decided that if we sold our house we would just have to find something to rent for the indefinite future because we haven’t found anything that we want to buy.  When you haven’t found a house that you want more than the one that you are in, the idea of practically giving your house away isn’t too appealing.

The other life decision that I have made that is affecting everything else is that I have decided to go back to school.  I realized that I am 22 credits shy of my bachelor’s degree.  I had always thought that someday I would go back and finish, but never had any concrete plans to do so.  For some reason, a couple of weeks ago, I found myself on Weber State’s website, and found a spot where you could send a request for information.  I hesitantly filled in my information, not quite sure what I was planning to do, and bada-bing!  I’m re-admitted and registered for a class this fall!  It’s going to take longer than 22 credits for me to finish because I’m changing my major, but that’s okay.  I’m on the path now, and I’m really excited.

When I think about selling the house and going back to school, I look at how everything is just falling into place for going back to school, and how everything just seems to be roadblocks for selling the house.  I really think that is the Lord’s way of telling us that now is not the right time to move, and that school needs to be my priority.  I need to take this opportunity and get it done. 

I’m excited and apprehensive about these life changes that we are making.  I’m not sure if my brain will go back into college mode, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. That is very exciting Cassie! I know school wont be the most fun thing to do but I bet you will feel great when you finally have that diploma in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for going back to school and I'm glad you are staying around.

    ReplyDelete