Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween frights, spooks and stress!

Halloween 2010 007

When you think of stressful holidays, Halloween probably doesn’t usually come to mind.  Well, it does for me!  I didn’t stress out too bad about making the costumes this year like I usually do.  I didn’t really have time; I was finishing up my paper the whole week leading up to it, so costumes were much lower on my priority list than usual.  The kids helped me out a bit with their costume choices as well.  G-man wanted to be a clone again, so he wore the same costumes as last year (at least I know he grew a bit from last year, it didn’t fit quite as well, but it worked) TRMinator wanted to be a zombie knight, which was actually pretty easy, and Squanner wanted to be a princess, which thankfully I had started earlier and my mom helped me by gathering the never ending skirt onto the bodice.

The reason that Halloween is always so stressful for me is that I never seem to plan my time just right on that night.  Something you may not know, is I always plan out a schedule in my head of when I need to do what so that everything gets done on time.  And if that schedule in my head doesn’t go according to plan, I most likely lose it. 

I usually need to do Squanner’s hair, and help everyone find all the pieces to their costume and get ready.  I’ve tried starting early, but them I am just trying to keep everyone from getting mussed up until it’s time. 

Our neighborhood always does a trunk or treat in the cul-de-sac behind us.  This year a few families were getting together to do a potluck before it started.  I guess I didn’t allot myself quite enough time to get my hot dog mummies (the dish I was contributing) wrapped and in the oven, Squanner’s hair done, and get there by the time I wanted to be there.  Needless to say, by the time I got her hair done, found the shirt for TRMinator to wear under his costume, put all of G-man’s pieces on right, and got to the potluck, I was about ready to burst.  But then, I calmed down and could enjoy myself.

But then, by the time the trunk or treat actually started, it was looking like this:

Halloween 2010 018

It had started to rain, and it was just wet and cold.  I was so glad that I took the time to make Squanner her princess hat and do her hair when we took the hat off because it didn’t fit very well under her umbrella, and then her hair was just wet and ruined.  Oh well.  They still had fun.  And that’s all the matters, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment