Friday, November 12, 2010

Random Friday

I’m sorry!  I know I’ve been a blog slacker lately!  My life has been hectic and I keep waiting for it to die down.  I realized that it’s probably not going to, especially since I just doubled my class load next semester. (Yes, that would be a whole 2 classes that I’ll be taking!)  So I guess I’d just better get used to it.

I got a bit irritated this week with my great, prestigious university that I am attending.  Registration for classes next semester opened up this week.  So I sat down and looked at what I needed to take and when such classes were offered, (I’m still a bit limited as to what I can take since Squanner in only in school in the afternoon) and tried to plan out my schedule. 

I decided that I should take an intermediate college writing class because it was a prerequisite for several of the other classes that I need to take, that and I figured a refresher on how I was actually supposed to write would probably be a good thing.  Well the problem with the intermediate class is that it has its own prerequisite which is introduction to college writing.  I called the English department and asked if I could take a placement test and test into the class that I wanted.  They told me to go take an accuplacer test.  (Let me just add here, if they had told me to go take a placement test for math after a 14 year break from school, I would have been terrified.  A test for English after 14 years, I’m okay with.) 

So I dropped Squanner off at school and went to take the test.  The lady at the testing center told me I did really well, but you can’t test into the 2010 (intermediate writing) class, no matter how well you do.  I went home and called the English department again to see if I could count the English classes that I had taken for my associate degree as my English 101 that I need to get into the 2010.  Long story short, after talking with the the department head I realized that whatever classes I had taken the first time I went to school won’t count toward my degree now because they are over 10 years old.  My degree itself counts in that it still wipes out all my generals, but anything toward my major I will have to do again.  Luckily, they were only counting one class that I had taken toward fulfilling a requirement for my new degree. 

So I am signed up for introduction to college writing next semester.  Yep, I am going back to the basics!  I hope it’s easy.  Watch, I’ll have more problems with that class than the senior level British Lit class I am taking this semester!  I’m taking the 101 class online, so at least I won’t have to sit there in class with a bunch of 18 year olds! -- Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment