Monday, January 3, 2011

My grandma cracks me up!

I have mentioned before that when I was growing up, my grandparents ran an apple orchard.  In addition, they also had a big garden that produced lots of fruits and vegetables that they would sell along with the apples.  One of the things that I would help with was picking strawberries.  My grandma was famous for telling us every single time before we went out to pick, “No white tips!”  The thing with strawberries is, once you pick them, they don’t continue to ripen like tomatoes.  So if you pick some that are still white at the tip, they aren’t quite ready and aren’t as good.  Of course, I knew that when I was picking, and tried to only pick the fully ripe ones, but I was only 11 or 12, so she really wanted to make sure I didn’t forget!  

It has become a running joke between my grandma and I now.  Whenever I see anything with strawberries, I think of her.  A couple years ago I got her a boxed set of cards simply because they had a big picture of a strawberry on the front.  I sent them to her with a note on them that said, “Look!  No white tips!”  I got a letter in the mail from her today that her return address label had a little picture of a strawberry on it.  Underneath she had written, “No white tips!”  Needless to say, I laughed when I saw it.  She cracks me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment