Thursday, November 19, 2009

Are you smarter than a preschooler?

How is it, that a four year old can make me feel like one of the dumbest people around?

I was running errands the other day with the princess and she was pretty much chattering non-stop in the back seat.  Her chattering consists mostly of questions, and her questions are of the inane, pointless, makes no sense, variety.  So I find myself saying, “I don’t know” a lot.  

She also likes to play whatever game on the computer that her brothers are playing.  Of course, they are games that I’m not interested in, so I have no idea how to play them, and either does the princess, for the most part.  Every time she asks me how to do something in the game, I have to say, “I don’t know.”  Let me tell you, after spending half the day saying  “I don’t know” and the other half  saying, “What?” because I can’t understand her, or I have no idea what she is talking about,  I’m left in a near constant state of befuddlement, and I’m really starting to feel like I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. 

It’s moments like these, when I think I’m going to lose my mind because I’ve been talking to a 4 year old all day, and I’m really starting to think my intelligence level has dropped below hers, that I try and take a step back, and realize just how lucky I really am.  I get to stay home all day with her, and I get to hear all her inane questions, and not a babysitter.  I get to be the one that she comes to when she wants to know why the mountains are over there, and not over here, or why chips come in a bag.  I get to be the one that listens to her count out the 5 things she wants for lunch every day.  Being a stay at home mom isn’t always the easiest, most exciting job, but it’s the most important one that I will ever have and one that I treasure and wouldn’t give up for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment