Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Babo’s still got it!

I have the best grandma!  First of all, let me explain her name.  We call her Babo, my brother came up with that when he was really little and for some reason it stuck.  So now that that’s out of the way, let me tell you a bit about her.

She was never one of those coddling grandma’s that baked us cookies and read us books (my other grandma read us books and always had the store bought iced oatmeal cookies in the cookie jar.  I loved those because that was the only place I got them!)  She was the fun, outrageous one that would blast Kenny Rogers from the radio and dance around the kitchen.  I loved to hang out with her while I was growing up.

She and my grandpa ran an apple orchard while I was young.  They had a building out back that was called the Apple House, where we sold produce in the summer, and did crafts in the winter.  I think we made more Apple Annie dolls than I could count!

I have great memories of running among the trees, and exploring all the corners of their property.  I also loved going to their house because she always had so many tubes of lipstick, and the really great thing was, she let me try it on!  It was fun getting all dolled up with makeup, then putting on one of her numerous pairs of clip-on earrings (the best!) and putting on a show.  I really think that I had a better childhood because she was a big part of it. 

My Babo is 82 now.  Most people slow down, and mellow out by the time they reach their 80’s.  Not her!  In fact, she got pulled over for speeding just the other day!   The policewoman said she had to run her license twice because she didn’t believe she was 82!  How awesome is that!?  My grandma is the best, and I wouldn’t change anything about her!  I love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment