Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The laptop hunt

**Warning**   Boring blog ahead!  If you feel your attention start to wane, and your eyes glaze over, feel free to skip it!

Hubby has no less than 3 laptops right now.  Yes, 3.  You might be asking, “why on earth does he have three laptops?”  Well, I would be asking the same thing.  He has been shopping for a new laptop for the last several months, and let me tell you, that is no small task.  To his credit, he uses his laptop a lot, so he wants one that has all the specs that he needs, like the right screen resolution, and the list goes on and on.  Suffice it to say, there is not a perfect machine out there for him, so he has to compromise on something.  I guess he’s still trying to figure out which thing on his wish list he can live without.

So, why on earth does he have 3?  Well, he and his uncle decided that he should write an application for the I-Phone to go with their restaurant software.  Apple is very proprietary and will only let developers use Mac software to develop new apps.  So he has been shopping for a used Macbook Pro.  He found one for a good price locally on Saturday, so he bought it.  (With the intention of the business reimbursing us for it.)   Meanwhile, Windows 7 was released 2 weeks ago, so the new generation of PC laptops were released also.  He ordered a new HP Envy 2 weeks ago sight unseen, because he thought it would be a good one.  Now, if you’re like me, your thought process should be somewhere along the lines of, “Huh, extremely picky guy that has to try out every aspect before he gives it the okay, like how the keyboard feels, the screen size and ratio, how thick it is, battery life, etc., etc., etc.  Buying a laptop sight unseen…  hmmm, might be a bit risky, but whatever.”  This new HP beauty arrived on Monday.  He still has his old laptop, the Macbook and the HP.  He’s trying to decide if he likes the HP well enough, or if he wants to send it back.  He’s thinking that he might want to keep the Macbook as his own (now that he’ installed Windows 7 on it, it’s useable) because it’s a pretty nice piece of hardware, even I have to admit.

So we own 3 laptops.  I’m a bit anxious for him to make up his mind so we can either get reimbursed for the Mac, or send back the HP.  Counting the 2 desktops, at the present moment we have 5 computers in our house (oh, I forgot, that doesn’t include his server he has running in the basement, and we still have my mom’s old computer that I’m not really sure what his plans for it are), in case you forgot, that’s one for every member of our family.  That’s a bit ridiculous.  The computer count in our house better be going down soon, or heads (really, just one in particular) are going to roll!

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I am very impressed with how much my wife must listen to me when I agonize over what laptop I want to get. She is obviously paying attention, for which I love her very much!

    I have to clarify a couple of things, though. When you are shopping for a "high end" laptop, it is almost impossible to check them out in person before you buy because these aren't the laptops that they stock at Best Buy or any of your local retailers. The new Envy 15 is still not available at any stores here, so there is no way to check it out. If you want to buy a piece of junk for $500, you can actually go to the store and verify that it is really a piece of junk. If you want something nicer, you have to roll the dice. I do a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of research online.

    The reason I moved on the HP was because they were offering a 25% discount on release date. That's a significant amount of money! Cassie can't complain that I wanted to save money on my purchase!

    Anyway, a couple of years ago I realized I was too picky about things and decided my new mantra was going to be "one is just as good as another".

    You can see how well that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys crack me up! But it is crazy how many computers one can accumulate. We have one desktop for the kids, a desktop for me and I have a laptop and my Paul has 2. One for work (which is always home, go figure) and 1 for school. And my hubby isn't even as close to a nerd as yours!! (ha ha, sorry just had to throw that in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I love my "junky" $500 laptop from Best Buy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I just want my own laptop... Is that so much to ask??

    ReplyDelete