Thursday, January 7, 2010

Don’t you hate it when…

You spend half the day putting all your Christmas decorations away, and make a trip through the house to find all those pesky little things that are hiding from you.  You convince yourself that you are going to get all of them this year, unlike last year, when you forgot that 4 ft. tall tree on your plant shelf, and by that point you were tired of putting things away so it stayed there till May.  You remember the little nativity set that is tucked away on a shelf that was in the other room.  You remember the advent calendar candy streamers, and even remember where you put the thing that you pulled down to make room for said streamers, and put that back up.

At this point you are feeling pretty good about yourself.  You remembered to put everything away.  You’re not going to find anything else in a month and then have to go into the dungeon of your house and try to find room in your already fairly neatly packed and somewhat organized Christmas boxes, to put this forgotten, neglected decoration away.

Then your mom points out something that should be fairly obvious to you.  I mean, they are hanging on the railing that separates the kitchen and the family room, come on, it’s a spot you look at every day!  Ah yes, the second set of Christmas stockings.  Huh.  How on earth did you miss those?  If I didn’t know you so well, I would have said that you were blind!  Especially since they are pretty much out in the open.  They weren’t hiding from you!  Sheesh!!

Christmas 09 001In case you weren’t sure, the dummy in question is me.  And, yes, they are still up.  I may just leave them up till next Christmas!  We have these stockings because the one with my name on it is the one I had as a kid.  My grandma’s friend knitted my brother and I one when we were little.  When I got married, she made one for Hubby and sent it to me.  Then when each of my kids were born, she knitted them one also.  I think it’s so neat that she did that for us, I have to put them up somewhere.   These are the stockings that Santa usually puts an X Box game in it for each of the kids.  Needless to say, they usually make a beeline for these Christmas morning. 

So much for my careful check of the house to make sure I got everything!  Oh well, one less thing I have to put up next year, if they are still up by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment