Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh give me a home, where the ma-squitos roam!

I originally hail from the town of Burlington, Iowa.  It’s a place nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River.  It’s a nice little city that hasn’t changed much in the last 14 years since I’ve left.  If you’re not familiar with the midwest, it can be very humid and buggy in the summer.   Thankfully it was cooler, so the humidity and bugs weren’t as bad when we were there a few days ago, but I still got several bites that were pretty good ones!  I think that Iowa bugs are super bugs.  They could beat up Utah bugs in heartbeat!

The Princess and I were able to go home (I guess it’s really only home for me, Utah is home for her) to Iowa for six days.  We just got back last night, and I’m happy to report that she was very good on the plane both ways.  I’m even happier to report that I didn’t lose my patience with her even once and wish that I hadn’t brought her!  I suppose it helps that we had a mini-DVD player and new movies for her to watch.  Boy, is it hard to travel these days, with being able to go halfway across the country in 3 hours and watch movies the whole time.  We have it rough!

My grandma and aunt and uncle still live in Iowa, so I try and get back once a year to see them.  This time my cousins and aunt that live in Virginia were able to come also.  My mom was there too, but she got there about three days before I did.  It’s fun to go and see my family and “get back to my roots”.  The funny thing about Burlington to me now is, the roads seem so narrow and the speed limits low!  Oh, and what seems like 4-way stops on every other corner.  I guess I’ve gotten used to wide shoulders, turning lanes in the middle of the street and 4o mph speed limits just about everywhere!  I know, “waa waa!”

Here’s some pics to commemorate my trip!

Iowa! 027Burlington has some of the most beautiful parks!

 

Iowa! 026 Don’t mess with the princess!  These are guns from one of the world wars, I think.  I loved climbing on these when I was a kid.

 

Iowa! 046 Continuing the tradition on making cherry pies in the fire.  We always made these at my grandma’s whenever we had a fire going.

 

Iowa! 057 We had lunch at Hotel Nauvoo, and they were doing free carriage rides!  Awesome!

 

Iowa! 075 We had to take some pictures of us in front of the temple!

 

Iowa! 081 My grandma!!  I love her!!

I just realized that I didn’t get any pictures of all of us together!  I’m going to have my cousin send me all of her pictures, and maybe she has some.  If she does, I’ll post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment