Friday, March 26, 2010

The innocence of youth

We had a cute young couple come look at our house last night.  They saw it online and called our agent to see it.  They were first time home buyers and wanted to take advantage of the tax credit that expires next month.  They made an appointment to look at it Monday (3 days from now) but he told them that if they were in the area, they could swing by whenever to look at it.  (Not quite sure why he told them that, but whatever)

I guess they were pretty anxious to see it, because they stopped by last night at about 6:15, right, may I add, as I was just about to put dinner on the table.  Our philosophy all through this house selling process has been, if someone wants to see your house, you show them your house, even if it’s not very convenient, so Hubby showed them around.

They loved the house.  They loved the appliances, they were wowed by the big yard, the fact that we don’t have a full basement didn’t faze them… so is the house sold?  I’m going to take a stab in the dark here and say….  NO!  They were very nice and really interested, but I don’t think they have a clue as to how much it really costs to buy a house.  I was telling them about a mortgage calculator that I had found online that gives you a pretty realistic view of what your payment will be.  I told them about how it has you add your property tax and insurance to your principle and interest.  The husband kind of got a blank look on his face when I mentioned property tax.  Like he hadn’t considered that before.  I’m sure the thought of PMI would just blow them away.

They would be great for this house, but I really don’t think they can afford it.  You never know, they may surprise me, but I doubt it.  They reminded me of the first time Hubby and I thought we could afford a house.  We had only been married for a few months, and saw a house that we thought was cute that was across the street from the apartments we were living in.  We called the agent on the sign to see how much it was.  That started us on a week’s adventure of looking at houses and dreaming that we could buy one.  We had no idea what it took to buy a house.  The thought of getting preapproved for a mortgage never crossed our minds.  You need money for a down payment?  What?!  Suffice it to say, we were very naive.  We pretty much wasted that realtor’s time, but I don’t feel too bad about it because she was a little crazy.

If this young couple really does have all their stuff together and can buy our house, that would be great.  Maybe I’m being too cynical.  Maybe, but I doubt it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment