Friday, July 9, 2010

(3rd), 4th (&5th) of July

This weekend was a smorgasbord of  Independence Day festivities.  Starting Saturday morning we had a neighborhood breakfast in the park.  I brought my camera, but left it in the car the whole time, so I didn’t get any pictures of the Princess’s outfit.  Every year I make her two 4th of July outfits, one shorts outfit for the breakfast on Saturday, and a dress for church on Sunday.  I may cut it back just to the dress next year, because it was really down to the wire getting them done.

Every year with the neighborhood breakfast, we also do a bike parade with the kids.  They all decorate their bikes and ride them around a bit.  The Princess was excited to do the parade because she loves to ride her bike.  The whole time we were decorating her bike the night before, she kept talking about the “bike festibal” as she called it. 

Well, the next day, for some reason we missed the parade.  None of us noticed when they called for the kids to line up and ride around.  When we realized that it was already over, the Princess was not happy.  So we told her she could go ride the walking path around the park by herself if she wanted.  Well, she wanted and I think she went around 3 times.  Let me insert here that the path around the park is 1/2 mile long.  So when you do your simple addition, you’ll realize that she went a mile and a half!  After her ride she was okay with missing the “bike festibal”.

That evening, our neighborhood got together in the cul de sac behind us and shot off fireworks.  Every year, usually the Saturday or Sunday closest to the 4th, we compile our fireworks, bring snacks and chairs and line up on the sidewalks to watch the show.  We’ve dubbed it, “Cul de sac of fire”.  Again, no pictures!

On the actual big day, we went to Hubby’s bother’s house for a barbeque and more fireworks.  This time I brought my camera!!  And I actually used it!

4th-of-July-Golf

While waiting for it to get dark enough to light off fireworks, all the kids grabbed some clubs and went out of the golf course behind their house to hit a few balls. 

Then the sun finally started going down!

4th-of-July-collage

I must say, the fireworks were fun, none of the kids got hurt, but man!  It cold cold once the sun went down!

Then, we did our own fireworks in our driveway on Monday.  (It didn’t feel nearly as cold that night, maybe because I was a bit better prepared and wore warmer clothes.  Go figure!)

5th-of-July

All in all, it was a good holiday weekend.  Now, I guess it’s really summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment