Friday, October 23, 2009

Wonderific!

I think I may have reached a good stage in life.  As I sit here on the computer, reading other blogs, I am directing my children to clean!  They are scurrying around putting things (mostly their crap) away, and coming and asking every once in awhile where things go.  The hubby is having a nerd party tonight (more on that at a later date) and I don’t want people to think that we live in a constant state of chaos, hence the cleaning of the house.

I’ve been thinking lately of how I think I’ve finally moved into the “my kids are older” phase, not to be confused with the “I have teenagers” phase, which is thankfully not the case yet. (I’m not that old!!)  The  “my kids are older” phase consists of kids that can get their own lunch, turn on their own entertainment, i.e., turn on the TV, X-Box, or computer, and basically handle themselves.  Of course, not everything applies to the princess, because she is only four, but I have a wonderful little invention called the oldest son.  Man, he is a great thing to have around!  He is very helpful and reliable and the great thing is, the teenage hormones haven’t kicked in completely yet, so for the most part, he is still enjoyable to have around, and still wants to hang out with us. 

I have been really enjoying the time that they have been off track.  I have been able to do glorious things like go to the grocery store by myself!  I almost feel a little smug strolling up and down the aisles while other mom’s that haven’t reached the glorious stage that I am in, deal with crying, whining, and screaming kids!  It’s amazing how I can leave the store now, not about ready to kill anyone!  It’s wonderful!

The down side to the “my kids are older” stage is now the things they want just get more expensive.  Hubby and I noticed last year after Christmas that the boys’ piles were much smaller than the princesses pile, but those smaller piles cost a heck of a lot more.  We’ve discovered that as they get bigger, their toys get smaller and more expensive.  I guess I should have known, Hubby is the biggest kid by far, and he definitely knows how to shop for small and pricey! (for himself, not for me, let’s get that straight!)

Ahh, let me bask in a few more minutes of thinking my kids are awesome before I go see what their version of clean is, and how it differs vastly from mine!

3 comments:

  1. Going to the grocery store alone is the most wonderific thing about having kids in school all day. I agree, older kids RULE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cassie,
    I just had to add a comment to your blog. I really enjoy reading them. I think you were meant to be a writer. You should look into writing a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I really feel that I have to step in on this one. While it is true that I do like to shop for (sometimes) small and expensive things, I think I need to make a clarification regarding the recipient of said purchases.

    Between Cassie and myself, one of us has two Zunes because they can't be bothered to change the active playlist to switch between running days and walking days. That would be Cassie, not me.

    Between Cassie and myself, one of use has a fully aftermarket stereo system in our vehicle including a head unit, speakers and a subwoofer. That would be Cassie, not me.

    Cassie has her sewing machine, a Craft-Robo cutting unit, stainless steel appliances (including a refrigerator she hates), and more.

    I've got some expensive toys myself, but I just wanted to be clear that I try to make sure Cassie is taken care of first, and she doesn't lack for small expensive things intended to make her life easer/better/more entertaining!

    ReplyDelete