Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wowza!

I don’t know if it’s just our school district, or if everyone went to  this new grading system that we are using.  I would like to know what happened to letter grades?  Do older kids still have them, and since my kids are still in elementary, we don’t?  I understand letter grades, that’s what I grew up with.  Is a letter grade too detrimental to a child’s fragile self confidence, so they don’t use them anymore?  (that’s a whole ‘nother soap box.  I might have to let hubby do a guest post on the practice of giving everyone a trophy when they play soccer, because heaven forbid, someone feels like they didn’t win.  I know, it’s appalling to think that we might teach our kids that they are not going to win in every situation in life, and maybe possibly teach them how they should deal with failure.  Aahh!!  Banish the thought!!)

Let’s see, what was I talking about?  Oh yes, report cards!  As you may or may not know, my kids are off track right now.  This would be the end of their first quarter, so they got their report cards.  G-man got his on the day they went off track.  His was pretty good, but he’s having some issues with not finishing his work at school, so it probably wasn’t as good as it good be.  TRMinator’s teacher told him she would be mailing his to him because she wasn’t quite finished with them yet.

Well, they had been out for a week and he  still hadn’t gotten it yet.  Only TRMinator would worry about that!  Most kids could care less, but my big guy was concerned.  I’ve known his teacher for about 12 years now, and she is in our ward, so we went up to her on Sunday and asked what the hold up was.  She said he should be getting it soon, and lo and behold, she appeared on our doorstep Tuesday evening with report card in hand.  (we get our report card hand delivered by our teacher!  Do you think that’s a good thing or a bad thing?  hmmmm)  I’m not usually too worried about what I’ll see when I open TRMinator’s grades.  He’s a pretty conscientious and hard working student.  I’m not sure that I’ve even seen this before, though.

grades 002

I don’t know if you can see that or not, but that is pretty much a perfect report card.  They are graded on a number scale with 3 being the highest.  Yep, he got all threes.  Usually he gets some 2.5’s  or some 2.75’s, but not this time.   All 3’s.  Yep, I think he takes after me!   HA!!!! HA!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I always got number grades when I was in elementary. I never got any letters until Jr. high. So, I'm guessing it's nothing new?
    4 is like an A, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even get me started on the whole new grading system thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For us they get N's, and S's, satisfactory and nonsatisfactory until 3rd grade where they start to receive latter grades...

    ReplyDelete